Be Prepared

Residents who have previously been impacted by the spring run-off should prepare their properties with flood protection methods.

Emergency Management in BC is supported by a well-practiced and highly regarded structure that involves your local communities developing Emergency Plans. During major incidents or emergencies, these local plans are supported by responders and staff at the local level, supported in turn by the Province through Emergency Management BC.

In our region, these local programs are developed in a collaborative manner and a single plan for the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen ensures the highest level of support to residents.  This plan has been used many times over the years in times of wildfire, flooding and other major incidents.

However, even the best of plans by your local government can only do so much. It is up to you, the resident, to follow three steps to Emergency Preparedness at home or at work:

  1. Know The Hazards

  2. Make A Plan

  3. Build A Kit 

PreparedBC (Province of British Columbia) 

Get Prepared (Government of Canada)

Frequently Asked Questions

+ What is freshet?

Freshet can become a problem when winter snow packs melt rapidly, overwhelming stream channels and creating floods. Freshet flooding can usually be forecast by monitoring snow packs and weather, and examining stream capacity data.

Spring freshet can also destabilize soil and rock, causing mudslides, landslides and rock slides.

+ What is the difference between freshet and groundwater?

  • The difference is overland flow versus seepage.
  • Water will overtop stream banks when flows are greater than the stream's capacity to convey the volume of water from rain events and spring snow melt.
  • Groundwater damage will occur from seepage that occurs below the surface and finds its way through cracks and porous areas of a structure’s foundation.
  • Groundwater can be unpredictable. If property owners have historically experienced wet basements or seepage, they should prepare accordingly. Suggestions include installing a sump pump inside, below floor, or outside the structure, below basement level, at the location of seeping and/or making sure foundation drains (if present) are working.

+ What if I am worried my property will flood?

  • Private property owners are responsible for protecting their structures from possible flood damage and anyone who has historically experienced flooding should prepare accordingly. Equipping yourself with a flood plan and the tools needed in case of a flood can help prepare you.
  • Suggestions include making sure the ground is sloped away from your structures and water is directed away from your house by ditching or piping.
  • Do not to pump water into the sanitary sewer system.
  • Prepare a 72-hour kit for your family that includes food, water, a first-aid kit, identification and medications. For more information, visit the resources page. 
    72-hour kit:
  • Know where the power and water shut-off is in your house.
  • Place your important documents and identification on an upper floor in a sealed plastic bag.
  • Have an evacuation plan, including for your pets or livestock.
  • Review insurance available for your property – some coverage is available for overland flow (groundwater damage is typically not covered).
  • Emergency Management BC expects property owners to obtain flood insurance, when and where available. Property owners who choose not to obtain flood insurance, where available, may not be eligible for Disaster Financial Assistance.

+ I live on the lake – what should I do?

  • Residents who live in low-lying waterfront areas, or were impacted by 2017 rising lake levels are encouraged to take similar precautions and use sandbags or other measures to protect their private property.
  • Other small area lakes may fluctuate more and monitoring is an on-going process.
  • Residents are encouraged to secure docks and boats. Residents undertaking repairs to docks and/or retaining walls are required to apply for a permit from the Province (FrontCounter BC) 1-877-855-3222;
  • You can monitor Okanagan Lake Levels at (hyperlink below) Okanagan Lake reaches full pool at 342.48; however, full pool does not indicate flooding.  
  • The Province has set a target of having the lake reach full pool in the spring to try and ensure adequate water supply through the summer.

+ What if I need to build a sandbag wall or dike?

In the event a property owner needs to construct a sandbag wall or dike to protect their property, please review the tips and information below. You can also review sandbagging tips and information provided by Emergency Management BC.

For sandbag pick-up locations, access the RDOS Emergency Map.

Sandbagging Tips and Information: Click Here

Sandbagging Video: Click Here

Landslide Safety

Landslides are one of the top 10 emergency hazards in British Columbia. Recognize the danger signs, including falling rocks or boulders, abnormally dirty water, a faint rumbling sound or unusual sounds such as trees cracking or boulders knocking together. Learn how to protect your home and property.

  • If you live on a hillside, near the bottom of a slope, at the bottom of a drainage, or other similar locations you should review your risk for slope instability and landslides.

If a landslide has occurred, stay away from the area as there may still be a danger of further slide activity or some flooding may occur in the aftermath.

PreparedBC: Landslide information for homeowners and home buyers

Wildland-Urban Interface Fire

Research has shown that a house with both a fire resistant roof and a FireSmart zone surrounding it is 85 percent more likely to survive a wildfire than one that is not so prepared. 

Wildfire Prevention

We’re in this together. Wildfire prevention can happen at home, in the backcountry, and through larger-scale fire and fuel management planning. Learn what you can do to help. Click here for more information.